Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shitty first drafts and me

The article had a lot of points that are very similar to what happens when I start writing my "Shitty first draft". The main aspect that I noticed with Anne is that when she starts writing she just lets it flow and whatever comes out in whatever order she just writes it down. I noticed with most of my writing the same thing happens to me. I start writing and just this influx of thoughts start rushing out and if I don't write it down I will most likely forget it in that split second. You'll probably notice that with this post cause I'll have a lot of grammatical or spelling errors. I think the way that Anne separated each component of her paper by draft was awesome. Each draft was directed towards a specific problem rather than trying to fix all of it in just one sitting.



Like Anne I kind of get all these ideas and most of the time don't write them down because I am so set on having a perfect first draft rather than a shitty one. I like her should probably just write down all my thoughts as they come even if they are in a disastrous order and later go back and take it apart one section at a time. I think what I get more carried away with while drafting is worrying about grammar and spelling. I am constantly stopping and trying to fix any spelling or grammar issue which I think takes a lot away from my writing cause I stop my train of thought to fix a meager problem which I can wait to fix a little later. What I don't really do is unfortunately is revise well. I look at my papers and think hey there perfect when in reality there is so many mistakes its not funny.


My writing is wood carving. I start out fast and then as I work I slow down a lot because I try to get the details perfect so when I am finished my creation is perfect the first time and I don't have to go back and keep working each detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment